Monday, May 7, 2012

Misc. Mondays: Suffering In Silence

It's human nature to enjoy complaining about things. We all do it, whether it's letting off a little steam about a coworker that really annoys you, or ranting for 700 words about a book you loathed. When I started my blog, my number one goal was to share the books (and other things) that I love. It's happened that, occasionally, it has also been an outlet for the cathartic, pleasurable human activity that is bitching about things.

Suffering in silence is tough. Even if it's something as simple as a book that really annoyed me, I feel compelled to tell someone about it and make them share my pain. You, dear readers, are that someone. The only downside to this is that I tend to hate things that many other people enjoy.

That feeling of "Everyone else loves this, but I hate it," is one of the only things that keeps me silent. Not long ago, I was asked to review a new book, which was self published, and which all other previous reviewers seemed to enjoy. I was the first and only one star rating on Amazon and Goodreads. I felt pretty freaking guilty about that, and almost took down the rating and kept the review to myself, just to avoid feeling like a bitch.

But like I said, it's no fun suffering in silence. So I'm dedicating this post to once and for all sharing with you all of the popular things that I personally dislike. That way, you won't be surprised if I complain about them later. Here, I made a chart:

So there, my secrets are out. These are the things the general public seems to love, that I loath. I'm sorry. I'm especially sorry about they ice cream cake, because it tries so hard and it never did anything to hurt me. But we just aren't meant to be.

What about you? Do you you feel like the only one to detest a popular book, movie, or snack treat? Share your hatred in the comments. Happy Monday, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. This post made me giggle. Sometimes I feel the same way and wonder if I'm living on a different planet as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Like, did we read the same book? Why would you give that five stars?

      Delete
  2. I hate being the only one who hates a book. Or the only one who likes it. No one likes feeling like an outcast. I feel like I read the book wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I think an opinion can be that much more valuable when it goes against the crowd. It's having the courage to express it that's tough!

      Delete

Thoughtful comments are appreciated! I always respond to them, and I usually return the favor! Happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...