Saturday, October 1, 2011

On Free Will: A Review of Matched by Ally Condie

Matched (Matched, #1)I've had my eye on Matched since it came out last year, but never quite got around to reading it. Then it showed up at the library where I work, and I finally made time for it. I'm so happy that I did!

Matched is set in a futuristic world where people's lives are controlled by the government. The Society decides everything from where you live and work, to the food you eat and cloths you where, to who you marry. It is this process of Matching that is the main subject of the novel. Cassia is told that she has been matched with her best friend, Xander. But when she goes to view a mircrocard with Xander's information on it, another boy's face appears--Ky. This leads Cassia to question whether the society makes mistakes, who she is really meant to be with, and why she cannot make that choice for herself.

Positive Comments:

I loved the concept of this book. I was reminded of The Giver, one of my favorite books from my childhood, which is also set in a tightly controlled Utopian society. Matched is intentionally thoughtful, asking big questions about free will, choice, and the nature of love. Yet it isn't pretentious or sanctimonious in it's message. We see both the good and bad sides of the Society, from the protection it offers it's citizens to the fear it instills in them.

Our heroine, Cassia, is intelligent and likable. I didn't mind following the story through her perspective. Her emotional journey and development felt real. She goes from blindly trusting and accepting, to questioning everything and trying to make choices for herself. This is a struggle that I found easy to relate to.

I enjoyed the gentle touch of romance that overlays the story and drives the plot forward. Even as she loves Xander and is loyal to him, Cassia feels real love for Ky. As Ky and Cassia discover one another, they build trust, understanding, and affection. I liked that this emotional connection built slowly, but ran deeply. It made me long for the two of them to have a happy ending.

Critical Comments:

The pace is extremely slow. It isn't an action filled story, but rather a slow and contemplative one. As a result, it takes patience on the part of the reader and might be frustrating to those accustomed to more tightly written plots.

Finally, the parallels to The Giver, while delightful, made me just a bit uncomfortable. Some of the details were, in fact, so close that I'm suspicious that they were lifted directly. The story itself goes in another direction and deals with some slightly different themes, but the world building is the same. While I don't think this is intentional plagiarism, I still have to mention it as a minor drawback.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Matched, and I look forward to the rest of the series. I'd recommend it, particularly to fans of slow and thoughtful YA literature. 4 stars.

8 comments:

  1. I also loved Matched and really enjoyed reading about Cassia's journey as she starts to question the Society more and more. I really can't wait to read Crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me or do book covers get better and better? This is such a great review. I've wanted to read Matched for a while but I've been a bit reluctant because of other reviews I've read. At least now I know to expect a bit of a slower book and not the action I'm used to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books like this. I have got to read Matched to go on to the next one. Not sure why I haven't managed to just pick it up off from my shelf. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually mentioned this book in my IMM this week - I finally bought it when it came out in paperback. I had heard it was a little slow, hopefully paving the way for more action in the sequel. I LOVED The Giver when I read it, actually think it made a huge impression on me! It kind of stands untouched as one of the books that really changed the way I thought about what I was reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good one. I appreciate the warning that this book is a slow mover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissie--I know, I want to read Crossed NOW.

    Lan--This book cover is incredibly eye catching, and so meaningful to the themes of the book!

    fivearlarm--You really need to give it a try! You won't regret it!

    Molli--I think the sequel is likely to have bit more action now that the world and the characters are well established.

    readingpanda--It's worth putting up with the slow pace. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matched was the book that started my current obsession with dystopian themed books. I loved it and am really looking forward to Crossed, although I think I want to wait for the audio release.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book! I'm currently reading crossed and i can't wait for the 3rd book reached to be released by october/november i think :) better than hunger games in terms of the dystopian setting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughtful comments are appreciated! I always respond to them, and I usually return the favor! Happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...